“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest”
We’re all on a journey.
So many things have changed in my life in the shortest time.
Largely my life looks pretty conventional, but behind the scenes I feel like a Duck in a pond.
My head and body look calm, but under the water my feet are paddling a hundred miles an hour!
I’ve made more than a few mistakes. Here are the 5 things that I used to promote, but that I don’t anymore.
1. Simple living as sustainable or self sufficient living. We’re living in a society. There is no need to do everything alone. Besides sharing is fun. Why go it alone?
2. Simple living is action oriented. Not true. Mostly the simplest choice is no action at all. Often it is about reframing the activity or event to let myself recognise that I need play no part. What is happening is okay and I don’t need to control things.
3. Not doing stuff because of what ‘people’ might say. I used to have this baggage about wearing the same sweatshirt everyday. I felt like people noticed and that they were probably talking about me behind my back. Now I figure people are so busy and so into their own shit that there is no chance that I am their dinner table conversation.
4. Overmending stuff that didn’t really work in the first place. I’ve grown up. Some stuff just needs to go to landfill. Not everything is a treasure to be saved.
5. Searching for good news about bad habits. There are certain things that we all know are bad for us and the simplest choice is to stop doing them, but I was always ears out for reasons that justified the stuff I was doing that I plumb knew was wrong (think eating meat, eating fried fluorescent foods, smoking, being an aggressive parent – or whatever). Eventually I learnt about the concept of bad faith and from there I just had to man up do what I always knew to be correct. It was uncomfortable. It was hard and truthfully it was no fun at the time. Now I look back and future self thanks past self for being brave.
How about taking a leaf and executing one of your bad habits right now?